VASSAL 3.6 Release Notes
This article will give you a quick tour of the new features in VASSAL 3.6, as well as listing some significant player-facing bug fixes.
(NB: The release notes will be fleshed out while 3.6 is in beta. More to come...)
Major New Features
The Editor now supports folders inside of most components that accept "children". When adding new subcomponents you can also choose to "Add Folder" which will make a folder into which any valid subcomponents of the parent can be placed. In the example shown, folders are used inside of the [Game Prototype Definitions] segment to organize the prototypes.
Drag and Drop
Components in the Editor window can now be "dragged and dropped" from one valid location to another.
You can now duplicate a component in the Editor, which will make a second identical copy of it at the same location in the tree. If you duplicate a folder or a component that has children (subcomponents), then all of the child items will be duplicated as well.
The Editor now allows you to Insert an item at the currently selected location (as opposed to the traditional Add which adds an item at the bottom of the current list of subcomponents). This can be useful for adding to the middle of a long list of pieces, prototypes, or other components.
Mats & Cargo
You can now add a "Mat" trait to a game piece to mark it as a piece that other pieces are placed upon. If those other pieces are marked with a "Mat Cargo" trait, then when you select the Mat the Mat Cargo pieces on it will also become selected--this means e.g. that if you drag the Mat around, then by default all the Mat Cargo pieces will come with it in the appropriate relative positions. Mats & Cargo can also be set to maintain relative facing (i.e. if you rotate the mat the cargo will be rotated as well).
There are now native builds for 64-bit ARM Windows and 64-bit ARM MacOS. For best performance, we recommend using a native build for your system and architecture if one is available.
If you were experiencing poor rendering performance with an Apple Silicon Mac, you should see improved performance with the 64-bit ARM build.
Removed & Deprecated Code
Some code which has been deprecated for more than a year has been removed. On loading a module containing custom code which uses removed or deprecated code, a warning dialog is now displayed immediately (instead of at the point when the deprecated code is used, as in 3.5).
Changes in 3.6.0-beta1
- 10276: Expose property if we're currently drawing Counter Detail Viewer
- 10273: Mat Cargo can be set to detect mats way from their exact center
- 10248: Invisible trait - Option to disable auto-report of moves
- 10075: Scaling factors for Layers and Non-Rectangular
- 10066: Mats & Cargo - Cargo pieces stay attached to Mat piece when moving.
- 10034: Added option to Mass Piece Loader to not create empty levels in layers when there is no matching image
- 10021: Added sub-folders to group components under Module, Maps, Decks, At-Start Stacks, Prototypes and Global Properties folders
- 10002: Add Hotkeys to hide and show map windows. Existing show/hide hotkey field is now always visible. Allow changes to hide/show Map button settings without needing Editor restart
- 10001: Inventory window allows a hotkey for Refresh
- 9998: Editor now has Drag and Drop support
- 9997: Can duplicate and insert components in Editor, not just add to bottom
- 9988: CountStack() added to beanshell to count pieces in current Stack
- 9987: ReportState checkbox overrides Global Key Command suppression of individual reports
- 9979: Add Deck Sort Key Command component to allow sorting of cards in a Deck by properties via menu or hotkey. Add Deck Send Key Command component to provide additional commands to send contents of one Deck to another via menu or hotkey.
- 9973: Deck supports configurable strings for Draw Multiple, Draw Specific, Face Up, Face Down
- 9972: Ability to specify Return-to-Deck target as an expression
- 9917: Global Options can be configured to let toolbar items on closed windows accept global hotkeys
- 9912: Add Global property MapName_isVisible for each Map to allow checking if Map is currently open
- 9901: Preference to reverse left-to-right order counters are shown in Mouseover Stack Viewer
- 9864: Improved translation features (Global Translatable Message component, Translatable Message trait, exposing current language/locale as property)
- 9549: Default UI font size can be overridden in preferences
- 4542: Added 'Stack Normally' option to 'Does Not Stack' trait
- 4533: Make grid center dot display independent of grid display
- 10326: Add option to disable OpenGL FBOs on Macs
- 10301: Double max heap and retry when image tiler runs out of memory
- 10294: Can Rotate traits no longer lose any pre-defined starting rotation when editing a Piece Slot
- 10187: Duplicate key and menu item for Editor menu
- 9993: DeckPosition was reporting 1 higher than the actual position
- 9884: Fix and improve module validity checking
- 6130: Grid Numbering dialog can appear blank when grid size is very large
- 10286: Add removal/deprecation checker and remove anything deprecated a year ago
- 10277: When editing an IrregularGrid, start the map view somewhere near the grid or its parent Zone
- 10272: Don't auto-name new regions a long string
- 10259: 64-bit ARM builds for Windows and Macs; switched bundled Java to Zulu
- 10228: Upgrade to Launch4j 3.14
- 10041: Newly added Layer traits will now default to 'Always active'
- 10015: Remove ?s from checkbox preference strings
- 10011: Add Scrollbars to Prefs Dialog when needed
- 9999: First 'advanced search' on a module defaults to all boxes prechecked
- 9992: Removed ignored 'button tooltip' field from Turn Tracker config
- 9989: Less verbose window titles for sub-windows
- 9975: Deck reports now suppressed during GKC report suppresssion
- 9913: Increase number of default zoom levels in new Map Zoom Capability
- 9254: Expression audit trails preference - Improve error reporting when Beanshell expressions fail. Suppress 'Bad Data in Module' errors generated by counters in Game Piece Palette.
Changes in 3.6.0-beta2
- 10390: NPE in GameModule.getProperty() after deleting the Map from the owning Map widget
- 10387: 'Centre on Opponents Moves' functionality should ignore movement by Invisible units
- 10386: Audit Trail reporting is not reporting trait or piece information for Return to Deck trait when invalid Deck specified
- 10381: Replaying a log step can cause Deck to become corrupted
- 10375: NPE in EnumeratedPropertyPrompt.getNewValue()
- 10371: Reset the Zone Editor title to match the Zone being edited
- 10359: ClassCastException: DeckGlobalCommand cannot be cast to Auditable
- 10357: Return To Deck Deck name can be lost when pre 3.6 module is edited using 3.6
- 10351: Checkbox preference default value is ignored
- 10341: Symbolic Dice Button tooltip is overwritten by description text
- 10226: Force Game Piece Image names to be valid file names ending in .png
- 10095: Definition of Player Sides - Retire/Switch Button image not showing in editor
- 10392: HTTP requests for server status should follow redirects
- 10383: Update all site URLs for new site and HTTPS
- 10337: Bring Reference Manual up to date