Eclipse setup with maven (not preferred)
This guide is based on the following software:
- A Java Development Kit (JDK) of your choice
- "Eclipse IDE for Java Developers" version 2020-06, downloadable from https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/2020-06/r/eclipse-ide-java-developers
This guide will assume a Linux system and its usual directory structure. Windows users, replace dashes with backslashes, /home/user with C:\Users\user when following this guide.
Git needs to be installed and the git executable needs in your system's path
A JDK needs to be installed, its subdirectory bin/ needs to be in your system's path
Vassal Git repository
Vassal code cloned onto the local machine, e.g. to /home/user/develop/vassal
Create new workspace
Create new Eclipse workspace outside the Vassal Git repository, e.g. /home/user/develop/vassal-eclipse-workspace
Start Eclipse using new workspace
- start Eclipse
- in the Eclipse IDE Launcher dialog, enter the path to the workspace created in the step above, or use the "Browse…" button to navigate to it
- click "Launch"
- on the welcome screen, click the "Workbench" button in the upper right corner
- on the left side, click on "Import projects…"
- open the "Maven" subtree
- select "Existing Maven Projects"
- click "Next"
- in the "Import Maven Projects" dialog, enter the directory of the local Vassal Git repository, or use "Browse…" to navigate to it
- check the list of projects in the center of this dialog, there should be one entry named "/pom.xml", and a maven identifier written next to it
- ensure the checkbox next to "pom.xml" is activated
- click on "Finish"
- watch the status bar at the bottom of the Eclipse window, it will show Eclipse do several things, wait until they are finished
(Optional) Clean up views
- in the menu bar, select Window -> Show view -> Console
- on the right side, close the Task List
- on the right side, close the Outline (use ctrl+o later to open an advanced version of it when needed)
- on the bottom, activate and close Javadoc
- on the bottom, activate and close Declaration
- in the menu bar, select Window -> Show view -> Other, navigate to Git -> Git Staging, click Open
- in the menu bar, select Window -> Show view -> Other, navigate to Team -> History, click Open